Monday, April 26, 2004

All About my Mother

Earlier I wrote about watching a film called All about My mother, a Spanish film directed by Almodovar, a director who is known for pushing the boundaries by having themes of homosexuality and other 'taboo' topics in his films. All About my mother was no different, though it moved me for the portrayal of a mother who was slowly going insane because her son had died.

Earlier while researching the movie, someone mentioned that there is an almost erotic quality to the way Esteban Jr (the first son as I call him) and his mother, Manuela, interacted. In a way it's true. Eloy Azorin was spectacular in the role. He was the quintessial mother's boy; not weak, not independent, but very strong and self-willed in his own way. (Not to mention cute :) )

However, as I mentioned in my report to my lecturers, the most significant part of the movie was the relationship between Rosa (a nun) and her mother. They were antagonistic (sp?) and at the same time, compromising. Why did I like it so much? Because it reminded me of the relationship I had with my own mother.

There is something for everyone in this film. So go watch it. Just remember to keep your mind's working off. You'll enjoy it better. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home